The Camp Hill Fire Company No. 1 provides emergency services to the Borough of Camp Hill and surrounding communities through mutual aid agreements with surrounding fire departments. As part of the Fire Company’s initiative to maintain adequate membership to perform these tasks, a Junior Fire Fighter program is sponsored by the Fire Company. Any persons, 14 years of age up to the age of 18 is eligible for membership in this program. Junior Firefighters do not actively participate in fire suppression or rescue operations at emergency scenes. They are not permitted to operate fire apparatus. The purpose of the program is to introduce these persons to the opportunities afforded in the emergency services sector as either a career path or as a volunteer giving back to their community.
The Camp Hill Fire Company Junior Firefighter program is based on Pennsylvania Junior Emergency Service Compliance Manual. Current edition is 2nd Revision, November 1, 2015. A summary of the major points are below:
- Juniors – ages 14 and 15
- Hours of employment – 0700 to 1900.
- During school vacation the hours may extend to 2100.
- May not participate more than 3 hours on a school day and 8 hours when there is no school.
- May engage in the following activities:
- First Aid
- Cleanup service
- Serving food and beverage
- Juniors – ages 16 and 17
- Hours of employment – 0600 to 2359
- During school vacation the hours may extend to 0100.
- May not participate more than 8 hours on a school day and 10 hours when there is no school.