JOB TITLE: Volunteer Firefighter (Volunteer FF)
PURPOSE: To prevent fires or medical emergencies from occurring and to control fire or medical emergencies, should prevention fail.
The Volunteer Firefighter serves the community by responding to a wide variety of situations, ranging from emergencies that immediately threaten life or property to routine citizen requests for information or assistance. They perform within the scope of the policies and procedures of the Camp Hill Fire Company and they perform duties in the following general categories: fire suppression, emergency medical aid or rescue, hazardous material responses, training, building inspections and public education. The Volunteer FF normally works under the supervision of a company officer and is expected to function effectively as part of a highly trained team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To support the department in all activities including emergency response, training, fundraising, maintenance, and other special activities. Required to attend business and other organizational meetings. The Volunteer FF are expected to respond from home or work to Department calls.
The Volunteer FF drives or rides an emergency vehicle in response to fire, rescue and emergency medical events, hazardous materials response/mitigation and routine requests for help or assistance. In the performance of their duties, the Volunteer FF places equipment, lays and connects hose; operates high-capacity pumps and directs water streams; raises and climbs ladders; uses chemical extinguishers, safety belts, lines and hooks and uses self-contained breathing apparatus. The Volunteer FF may enter burning buildings as part of a fire suppression team, perform ventilation tasks above ground, carry heavy objects and equipment and rescue injured or trapped victims.
Individuals fulfilling the duties and responsibilities of a Volunteer FF will at all-time present themselves in a courteous, professional and responsible manner.
TIME REQUIRED: The Volunteer FF is required to attend regularly scheduled training (every Monday night) in order to maintain the high level of knowledge, skill and ability necessary to function safely and effectively as a firefighter in accordance with state law, county protocols, and standard operating procedures. One monthly business meeting (every 2nd Friday night of month); Also required to complete Firefighter I course (approximately 175 hours) during first year of membership.
QUALIFICATION AND SPECIAL SKILLS:
- minimum 18 years of age
- sound physical conditions as evaluated by physician
- pass probationary trainee test within 6 months of joining
- pass physical agility test
- pass interview by membership committee
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions using the English language.
- Maintain physical conditioning necessary to perform efficiently in emergency situations; meet medical and physical agility standards as established.
- Learn the geography of the area, location of important buildings and the street system.
- Participate in training drills; attend school and classes on firefighting, hydraulics, first aid, fire equipment, and apparatus, and other classes associated with recognized fire fighter standard
- Learn and apply technical information pertaining to fire fighting.
- Analyze and cope with a variety of emergency situations calmly but effectively and to react quickly to secure accurate and precise information on the location, extent, and nature of fires and emergency aid request
- Sustain heavy physical labor during periods of intense activity in emergency situations; to work at varying heights above grade.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, and the general public; to work effectively as a team member
- Service and operate all Department equipment and apparatus
- Perform necessary maintenance, testing and care of fire hoses, trucks, ladders, and auxiliary equipment and apparatus
- Prevent waste and damage of materials, supplies, and equipment
- Perform general maintenance and minor repairs to station facilities; perform assigned janitorial activities and minor maintenance and painting.
- Perform community service activities
- Maintain necessary records and reports, incident forms, and daily shift operation logs, to accommodate needs of the department including computer data entry.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Work is performed primarily in the fire station, then on emergency medical scenes, mass casualty, fire scenes and extra ordinary events as they occur. Performing tasks under emergency conditions may require strenuous exertion. The exposure to death, emotional stress, patients with contagious diseases and terminal illnesses can be expected.
MENTAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this position, the Volunteer FF will be regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data, information and documents; analyze and solve problems; use math and mathematical reasoning;
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Physical hazard from fire, equipment, traffic, smoke inhalation, and falling objects at emergency scenes, and exposure to health risks may occur. Performance of hazardous tasks under emergency conditions may require strenuous exertion under such handicaps as limited visibility, exposure to hazardous or toxic chemicals and gases, extremes in temperatures, cramped surroundings, and contact with death, emotional stress, contagious diseases, and terminal illness.
RECOMMEND PERIOD OF COMMITMENT: The department requests that new firefighters commit to serving at least 2 years after Firefighter I training is completed.
SUPERVISION: Provided by line officers
BENEFITS: In addition to great personal satisfaction about serving society we pay for all training expenses; Accidental Death and injury insurance; free alphanumeric pager service; personal assigned protective gear; class B uniform; special recognition awards.
EVALUATION: At end of first 3 and 6 months (Probation Period); once annually thereafter by the chief and duty officer.Follow us on Social Media: